Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) have a "use it or lose it" rule.

However, you can roll over up to $500 of unused Health Care FSA funds into the new year.


Save smart with a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

FSAs let you set aside money from your paycheck (on a pretax basis) to use for eligible out-of-pocket expenses. There are two kinds of FSAs you may choose to participate in.  

  • A Health Care FSA is used to reimburse yourself for medical, dental and vision expenses not covered by your health plan.    
  • A Dependent Care FSA is used to reimburse yourself for child or adult day care services needed because you work. 


  • You do not have to be enrolled in an employer-sponsored health plan to enroll in an FSA — you may enroll in one or both.
  • You must enroll every year – your current election does not carry forward from year to year.
  • FSAs are available to active employees in several employment categories, however there are eligibility requirements. See your employer’s FSA plan information for details.

More FSA information for Army, CNIC, Exchange, Marine Corps and NEXCOM employees

More FSA information for Air Force employees 

FSA eligibility

  • Retirees are not eligible for Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

  • Active CONUS employees who elect the new HDHP with an HSA, you may not also have an FSA.

Be the first to know!

Sign-up for benefits eNews